Use a Charitable Remainder Trust to pay for college. You can set up a CRT to gift money (donations) to a college and at the same time use the stream of income from the trust to pay the tuition costs for children (grandchildren) over a number of years. This way you can avoid paying taxes on the appreciation and also receive a charitable income tax deduction. You may want to also consider using life insurance to replace the lost inheritance of heirs.